I’m a scout mom. My son is a Life Scout, working on his Eagle Scout. My husband and I volunteer as leaders. Our oldest daughter is in the Venture Crew. Both my son and oldest daughter work at the Scout camp over the summer. Scouting… it’s a family affair in our household! I also have lots of great Scout mom and dad and volunteer friends, and they are some of the best people I’ve ever known. They give unselfishly of their time, their experience, and their money. They also give unselfishly of their creativity.
This post is so I can share a creative snack my awesome friend Tamara whipped up this weekend for her son’s Pinewood Derby. If you don’t know what the Pinewood Derby is, you’ve missed out. Cub Scouts (those boys under 11 yrs old) get a block of wood and have to shape it into a car, add wheels, decorate it, and then race it against their fellow Cub Scouts. It’s often a family affair, and some groups let siblings make and race cars as well. They get ribbons, trophies, and they develop skills along the way. (Scouting is FUN with a PURPOSE!!)
So without further ramblings by me, here are Tamara’s Pinewood Derby Snack Cars. Wonderfully creative for the theme, yet fairly simple to make. They’ll be a hit at your son’s next Pinewood Derby event*.
I bet they’d also be a hit at your husband’s next NASCAR party in his Man-Cave. I mean, really, what guy is going to turn these down? They might go all Neanderthal and beat their chests and act all manly to impress us, but they’re really just little boys at heart. Just like those Cub Scouts, they’ll make these things disappear faster than a pit crew can change the tires.
- One or more boxes of Swiss Cake Rolls, Twinkies, and/or Fudge Graham Sticks
- One or more bags of mini-Oreos, mini-NutterButters, and/or other mini-sandwich cookie
- One or more bags/boxes of Teddy Grahams or Angry Bird cookies. (These are your drivers)
- Frosting (it’s the glue to hold the wheels on, or use a dollop to prop up the Angry Birds faces)
(Carla’s observation: Nice thing about these ingredients… leftovers won’t go to waste!)
Car #1 – Twinkie Based
- Swiss Cake roll and Teddy Grahams
Twinkie, mini-Oreos, and animal crackers
Fudge-graham sticks with vanilla cookies
The Finished Product
* If you have a son who is aged 6-18 and is interested in Scouting, go to http://beascout.org and find a Cub Scout Pack, Boy Scout Troop, or Venture Crew near you!
* If you have a son or daughter aged 14-21 who is interested in high-adventure activities and leadership development, go to http://beascout.org and find a Venture Crew near you!