Cute, bite-sized, and easy to make. Make the caramel in the microwave, and use a melon baller to scoop out mini “apples.”
Suggested: use a tart apple, such as Granny Smith, or a tart/sweet apple such as Honey Crisp or Jonagold.
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 1 cup light Karo syrup
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Combine all ingredients in a large glass bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Stir. Continue this cycle (microwave for 2-3 minutes, then stop and stir) four to five times, until caramel turns a nice golden color.
- Remove from the microwave (caution, the bowl will be hot!), and stir in the vanilla.
- Using a melon baller, scoop bites from an apple. Pat the apple bites dry with a paper towel.
- Using 3-6 in wooden skewers (cocktail skewers or longer skewers cut in half), skewer the apple bites (put the skewer through the center of the skin on each bite.)
- Dip the bites in the warm caramel. For that gourmet apple look, leaving part of the apple skin showing.
Optional: After dipping in the caramel, dip the bites in toppings such as colored sugar, festive sprinkles, or chopped nuts.
Hint: Put the dipped apples in small cupcake liners to keep from sticking to each other and keep things neat.
We’ve all seen what our carved pumpkin looks like after a week or two. Sagging, looking moldy. That smiling face your child carved is now a pathetic frown. The intricate carving of your favorite team logo has just collapsed, leaving a unattractive blob for viewing.
I just found out about this tip, and will be giving it a try to keep our jack-o-lanterns fresh for a longer period of time.
- After you scoop out and carve your pumpkin, dip it in a large container of bleach and water (use a 1 tsp:1 gal mix). The bleach will kill bacteria and help your pumpkin stay fresh longer.
- Drain your pumpkin upside down until completely dry.
- Add 2 tablespoon of vinegar and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice to a quart of water. Brush or spray this solution onto your pumpkin to keep it looking fresh for weeks.